Friday, December 12, 2014

Computer Science Curriculum

At times I wonder when we should teach computer science, how we should teach it, and should it be taught as a separate skill set.

Reading this document - Computer Science: A curriculum for schools didn't help me at all with my dilemma. I love teaching computer science through such things as coding apps and I would advocate 100% for a the importance of having students develop computer science skills yet somehow I am not convinced by the thought of a computer science curriculum.

I am a tick box/check list type of person often as I feel, complex tasks, if simplified down into tick boxes and check lists are easier to manage but, I also feel that simplifying complexities in this way detracts from the intricacies and depth which are the things that make the complexities so interesting.

While the linked document is very valid, and helped me clarify a lot of my thinking, and it certainly doesn't recommend a tick box/check list approach, it did encourage me to think about my integrated approach and in particular the clarity of my assessment with regard to computer science. Looking at the programming "What a student should know?" part of this document I realise by using Scratch programming for students to create interactive animations they have achieved the Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3 outcomes for programming but the problem is they would not have known they have achieved them. So I am probably, in my avoidance of check lists and tick boxes not letting my students be aware of what great programmers they are (at a simple level) and one of my goals, which is to improve their interest in and confidence about computer science has been totally defeated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment